Friday, October 7, 2011

Sup Mang Cua - Vietnamese Crab and Asparagus Soup

Sup Mang Cua
Finally I've made sup mang cua. Usually sup mang cua is reserved for special occasions like New years, weddings, or birthdays. This soup is like a special soup, so Vietnamese people don't really make it on any regular day, unless their craving for it. Like me, I will not suppress my craving for this soup until a special day arise. So I just make the soup and indulge myself.
Here is my easy sup mang cua recipe. I hope you'll give it a try and post a comment on my blog.

Ingredients

3 Cups water
3 Cups chicken broth
4 Cups crab meat
2 Cups white asparagus
2 Eggs
1/2 Cup corn starch
White pepper powder
Salt to taste

Method

1 - Prepare the asparagus by cutting the end part of the asparagus and discard it. Cut asparagus into ½ inch lengthwise. Set aside.
2 - In a large pot combine water and chicken broth, bring to a boil. Stir in crab meat and asparagus. Cook until asparagus is nice and tender, then add 3 pinches of white pepper powder. Stir pot and reduce to low heat.
3 - In a small bowl add corn starch, and stir in some cold water to dilute the corn starch before adding into pot.
4 - Slowly add the corn starch mixture into the soup. Make sure to add a little bit at a time and continuously stir the soup for a minute or two.
5 - In a small bowl, beat 2 eggs then slowly add mixture into pot. Vigorously stir soup, so the egg doesn’t clumps. Increase heat to medium high. Allow soup to cook for another 5-6 minutes, then remove from heat and serve hot.
6 - For a thicker soup just add more corn starch mixed with water.

No comments:

Post a Comment