Monday, October 15, 2012

Banh Khoai Mi - Vietnamese Cassava Cake

Banh Khoai MiThis is my fave. I remember my grandma used to make this for me when I was a little kid. I would sit next to her and watch her hand grated the yuca and the coconut, squeeze out the excess moisture from the yuca, and extracted the coconut milk. It was delightful to watch her make everything using fresh ingredients and making it from scratch.
I am ashame to say that I cannot do what she does.
I do not have the patience to hand grate and extract fresh coconut milk. I'd like to take shortcuts when I can and only if the end results aren't that bad.




Ingredients

2 LBs frozen khoai Mi (grated)
1 Can coconut milk
1 Can sweetened condensed milk
2 Egg yolks
Pinch of salt

Method

1 - Preheat oven to 350 F.
2 - Mix all ingredients in a large bowl, stir to combine.
3 - Grease round baking pan butter (or line pan with banana leaves)
4 - Pour mixture into pan and bake at 350 F for 1 hour until toothpick comes out clean
5 - Place cake under broiler for a few minutes to toast the top layer slightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment