Friday, May 4, 2012

Canh Bi Do - Japanese Pumpkin Soup (Kabocha)



Canh Bi Do


Pumpkins have always been my less favorite, and it's a shame because I know how delicious it can be. For years I've always stayed away from anything that involves pumpkin. I was not at all fond of the smell of raw pumpkin. Until maybe a year ago. I went to a good friend's home for dinner and she offered me soup. I drank the broth and I couldn't believe how great it tasted. The soup was out of this world delicious. It tasted a bit nutty, yet sweet and the fragant was unique. I asked her what was in the soup and she said pumpkin. I just couldnt believe my taste buds, of all those time I've stayed away from this delicious vegetable, well not anymore.
Today I will post a pumpkin soup recipe that's gaurantee to be fantastic.

Ingredient

1 Medium Japanese pumpkin - peeled and cubed
2 Small carrot - peeled and quartered
1 Small ginger knob - peeled and quartered
1 Lb sparerib - parboiled
salt to taste

Method

In a stock pot add 2 quarts of water or desired amount. Then add carrot, ginger, and sparerib. Cook soup on high heat until boil. Then add pumpkin and cook for another 15 minutes. Cover pot with a lid and reduce heat to medium low, cook for another 20 minutes before serving.

Garnish with spring onion if desire.

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious, I will definitely have to try this recipe. Following your blog now, looking forward to sharing with you!

    Eric @ Happy Valley Chow

    http://happyvalleychow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete